Turkey & Sweet Potato Dog Treats - Pet Treat
This recipe can be served at any time of the year but will make wonderful treats at Thanksgiving so you can include your dog in the festivities. They are also attractive treats & when packed with clear cellophane & a ribbon make great gifts for friends with dogs.
Makes about 3 dozen treats, depending upon the size of the treats.
2 cups turkey, cooked
1 cup water
1 cup sweet potato, cooked until soft
1 Tbsp molasses
1½ cups oatmeal, dry, uncooked
3 dozen cranberries, fresh or frozen
- Shred or chop cooked turkey into small into small pieces
- Put turkey & water in food processor or blender until a thick paste. There should be no meat chunks
- Add sweet potato & molasses to meat & puree until a thick paste
- Pour or spoon mixture into a large bowl. Add oatmeal & mix well. The dough should not be too wet or runny; if it is, add a little more oatmeal
- Spoon dough onto dehydrator tray by teaspoonful
- Place a cranberry on top of each treat, pressing it in slightly so berry stays on treat
- Dehydrate in your Nesco®/American Harvest® Dehydrator for 4-5 hours or until thoroughly dry but not crispy
When stored in an airtight container in refrigerator, will last about 3 weeks.
- Use fresh or frozen blueberries instead of cranberries
- Use cooked potatoes instead of sweet potatoes