Our Cabbage Rolls (Galumpkey) recipe will take you back to suppertime at Grandma’s house. Savory, meaty, and stuffed with flavor, this classic comfort meal fits right in at the dinner table. The NESCO 18 Qt. Roaster Oven simmers rolls to plump perfection on its own in just a few hours, so you can spend time entertaining guests. For leftovers, this delicious galumpkey reheats beautifully.
Your Key Ingredient:
1 large head of cabbage
3 pounds hamburger
3, 13 oz cans tomato soup
2 sticks of butter (slice 1 stick)
2 cups rice, cooked
2 eggs 1/2 cup bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 quarts water
- To prepare cabbage for rolling hamburger. You can do it the old fashioned way by floating it in a large pot of boiling water.
- Carefully cut slices so each cabbage leaf floats off of head. Remove leaves and drain on paper towels. Cut spine out of leaf.
- Prepare beef for rolling, mix rice, bread crumbs, eggs, hamburger, salt, and pepper. Roll individual leaves of cabbage with meat mixture.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in cookwell while preheating 18 Qt. NESCO® Roaster Oven to 350° F.
- Place cabbage rolls in cookwell. After 1 layer, pour soup on top. Add butter slices. Layer this way until done. Add water to almost cover cabbage rolls.
- Cook 1 to 2 hours. Serves 18 to 24. Submitted by Karen Moreno from Macomb, Michigan.