Fall in love with festive flavors with our New England Style Cranberry BBQ Pulled Pork. Sweet, tangy, and pull-apart tender, the addition of homemade cranberry sauce adds just the right amount of tartness to the pork. Use your NESCO Roaster Oven to achieve savory meat in just a few hours. We love to plate this dish with a side of flakey cornbread or Macaroni & Cheese.
Your Key Ingredient:
5 lb pork butt or shoulder
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp cajun or southwest hot pepper mixed spice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 dozen sandwich rolls
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup water
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/3 cup granny smith apple, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice, ground
- Mix brown sugar, garlic powder, cajun spice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub all over the pork.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight or several hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat NESCO® Roaster Oven to 400ºF.
- Unwrap pork and place in cookwell. Insert in roaster and cook 45 minutes until dark, golden brown. Cook an additional 1 ½-2 hours until meat is falling off the bone (internal temperature of 160-170ºF).
- Remove cookwell and let meat cool before shredding or pulling.
- While meat is cooking, prepare sauce. Place cranberries and water in medium-sized saucepan. Heat on medium-high. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended.
- Remove from heat and let set until needed or refrigerate. For a smooth sauce, place in blender and pulse 2 minutes. For a chunky sauce, leave as is (yield 2 cups).
- Using your hands or 2 forks, pull pork apart and place in large bowl. When done, stir in half of sauce and mix. Place rest of sauce in gravy bowl or creamer-type pitcher.
- Return pulled pork to roaster to re-heat at 250-300ºF (15 minutes) or keep warm until served. Serve on sandwich rolls with BBQ sauce on side. Serves 12.
Submitted by Donna Marie Ryan, Topsfield, MA.