The middle of summer is the perfect season for fresh strawberries. Red, sweet, and juicy strawberries are a great healthy snack and can be used in many different recipes– like this strawberry jam. Your NESCO Smart Canner can be used to water bath your jars to make them safe for long-term storage, and it’s so much easier than you think!
Simply cook the strawberries with the “Brown” function of your Canner, then add a few more ingredients, put it all in jars and process. It’s that easy to impress your family and friends with your homemade jam.
Your Key Ingredient:
3 pints strawberries, stems removed, sliced
1/4 cup orange juice, no pulp
3 tablespoons pectin
4 cups white, granulated sugar
- Using “Brown” function on your Smart Canner, cook strawberries for several minutes. Use a potato masher to smash berries.
- Stir in orange juice. Slowly add pectin, stirring as you add.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Add sugar and continue to stir and boil for another two minutes before removing inner pot from Canner.
- Skim off any foam that has accumulated.
- Ladle strawberry mixture into warmed jars (tip: a NESCO Roaster is great for warming jars) and tighten to finger tight, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace.
- Rinse out inner pot and place in Smart Canner. Add jars, stacking as necessary.
- Add 8 cups warm water and use “Water Bath” setting for 10 minutes of processing time, following the Care and Use Guide instructions for safe water bathing.