Tuck into a savory bowl of meat and vegetables with our classic Beef Stew. Featuring tender beef and a savory broth, this recipe is perfect for those cold winter months. Your NESCO Pressure Cooker is the key to cooking this delicious meal quickly and safely. Not only does it save you time, but it also prevents messy post-dinner cleanup. If you prefer, substitute beef for lamb or pork.
Your Key Ingredient:
3 lbs lean beef stew meat, cut in 1″ pieces
2 Tbsp fat (or vegetable oil)
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
2 cups water
1 cup onions
8 carrots, whole
8 potatoes, medium, cut in halves
2 cups broth (liquid from cooked meat)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cold water
- Place removable Cooking Pot.
- Add fat or oil. Plug cooker into standard outlet.
- Press “Brown” button on Control Panel of NESCO® 6 Qt. 3-in-1 Digital Electric Pressure Cooker. The light will start flashing and display will show “0.0”. Leave lid off while browning.
- Press ‘START/STOP’ button to begin heating. Indicator light will stop flashing. Preheat 1 minute.
- Add meat and begin browning. When meat is browned, season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Add water.
- Place lid on cooker and turn counter-clockwise until it locks into place and Locking Pin ‘clicks’ into place.
- Turn Pressure Regulator Knob to “Pressure” or “Seal” [see note below].
- The set Pressure Button on Control Panel on “LOW”. Set desired cooking time by pressing the ‘LOW’ button once for each minute or hold down continuously until desired time is reached (10 minutes).
- Press START/STOP button to begin cooking. Indicator light will stop flashing. Cooker will begin to count down (in minutes) and Floating Valve will rise after appropriate cooking pressure has been reached.
- When time control reaches zero, cooker will beep 3 times and switch to the WARM setting automatically.
- Press START/STOP button to make sure unit is completely off. Turn Pressure Regulator Knob to “STEAM” or “VENT” [see note below] in short bursts and allow pressure to release.
- Remove lid and add remaining ingredients. Follow same instructions stated above and cook another 10 minutes on “LOW”. After cooker beeps indicating cooking time has been reached, turn off, and unplug cooker from outlet.
- Skim excess fat (oil) from broth. Add enough water to broth to measure 2 cups.
- Mix flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into broth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 8-12. NOTE: The PC6-25P 3-in-1 Pressure Cooker Regulator Knob identifies Pressure as SEAL and Steam as VENT.