Whether you’ve been canning for years or are just getting started, our Pickled Beets is a recipe you can’t go without. Prepare beets safely in your NESCO Pressure Cooker which locks in nutrition and flavor. Rich in healthy probiotics, pickled beets taste great sprinkled on salad or layered on top of mozzarella cheese.
Your Key Ingredient:
4 lbs fresh beets
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 tsp salt
4 fresh dill heads and/or sprigs
- Wash 4 pint or 2 quart jars (quart jars fit in 10 Qt. pressure cooker ONLY) in hot, soapy water; rinse. Keep jars hot until needed. Prepare canning lids as manufacturer directs.
- Cut off beet tops. DO NOT REMOVE root. Wash beets and place in a large pot of boiling water. Cover and boil for approximately 15-20 minutes or until tines of fork can penetrate beets easily. Drain and immerse beets in cold water. Slip off skins and roots. Cut beets in 1/4″ slices and set aside.
- In a large pot (6 or 8 Qt.), combine all other ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add sliced beets and simmer until thoroughly heated, approximately 5 to 8 minutes. Dill may be removed from mixture, if desired, or packed in jars.
- Fill jars, one at a time, with hot beet mixture. Add enough liquid from pot to cover beets, leaving 1″ headspace. Release trapped air bubbles from jars with knife or flat spatula. Wipe rim of jar with a clean, damp cloth and attach lid.
- Place in basket/rack in NESCO® Electric Pressure Cooker/Canner. Add 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 quarts of water in canner. Add an extra pint of water if processing at less than full capacity.
- Process at 10 lbs. pressure for 30 minutes if using pints; 35 minutes for quarts. Remove from heat and LET COOL NORMALLY until steam no longer comes from the vent when regulator is nudged.