Your Key Ingredient:
- 2 lbs. green, yellow, or purple string beans
- 2 cloves garlic or 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 4 dill sprigs
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 tbs. kosher salt or 4 tsp. pickling salt
Optional: Jalapeños if you want spicy
- Rinse the beans under cool running water and drain well. Make sure to trim the stem ends from the beans.
If you are using pint-sized jars halve them and leave them whole if using quart-sized jars.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and mustard seeds to the jars.
- Place the sprigs or dill down first into your jar, then stack the beans in, orienting them so that they will stand up straight. Pack the jars as tightly as possible.
- Combine the vinegar, water, and salt in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Pour the brine over the green beans, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims.
- Add 8 cups warm water and use “Water Bath” setting for 10 minutes of processing time, following the Care and Use Guide instructions for safe water bathing.