Stay full and satisfied on the trail with our Backpacking/Camping Goulash. This recipe is portable, nutritious, and easy to cook right at the campsite. Simply dry ingredients in your NESCO Dehydrator beforehand and rehydrate with water whenever you want. It doesn’t matter if you’re far from home: even by the light of the campfire, you’ll find comfort in this hearty meal.
Your Key Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1½ lbs lean ground turkey
1 cup onion, chopped (¼ inch pieces)
1 tsp garlic, fresh
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp black pepper
28 oz can tomatoes
7 oz shell or elbow macaroni (add after re-hydrating)
This makes a great backpacking meal. Once this mixture is dehydrated, it is extremely lightweight. To re-hydrate, just add water, heat, and serve. Lean ground beef can be substituted for ground turkey.
- Place oil, turkey and onion in fry pan. Saute on high heat until turkey and onions are thoroughly cooked. Stir often to break mixture into small pieces.
- Add seasonings and tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes into smaller pieces. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool. Lightly oil 2 NESCO® Fruit Roll Sheets. Spread 2 cups evenly on each sheet.Dry at 145º F in NESCO® Dehydrator for 6 hours or until all pieces are thoroughly dry. Store in air-tight container. Label with name, date and weight. Seal and refrigerate up to 6 months. Shelf life is 3 weeks. Wet weight is 2 pounds. Dry weight is 10 oz.
- Put contents of bag in pan, add 2 cups of boiling water, cover, stir, and allow to rehydrate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook over medium heat until any excess liquid evaporates (about 5 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- In separate pan, bring 2 cups water to a boil on high heat. When boiling, add shell or elbow macaroni. Stir, cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Add meat mixture to cooked pasta. Stir and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
Submitted by Karen Thomas of Corona, California.