Moving on your own for the first time can be tough. Not only do you have to figure out how to use a washing machine on your own, but you also have to fully stock the place with all the essentials a college student needs. When you’re trying to get ready for the big move and a new school year, it’s easy to forget things, so we’ve come up with a list to make it easier:
1. Pots and Pans: A staple of any kitchen, pots, and pans should be one of the first things you buy for your first kitchen. You don’t need anything too fancy or extensive, just a few sizes of each.
2. Can Opener: Living with your parents for the first 18+ years can lull you into a false sense of security that there will always be a can opener close by. It’s disappointing when you get home from your first trip to the grocery store and you can’t get into any of your canned goods without the proper equipment.
3. Slow Cooker: Class all day and studying all night can leave you with little time to cook. Don’t resort to eating fast food for every meal. A Slow Cooker will save you time and hassle and money (those burger runs add up). Just throw your ingredients in before classes, set your temperature, and come home to a prepared meal.
4. Measuring Cups: Cooking is a lot easier when you know how much of everything you’re putting in. Measuring cups don’t have to be fancy, in fact, you can usually get them at the dollar store.
5. Basic Cooking Utensils: Spatulas, mixing spoons, a set of knives, and a pasta spoon will do wonders to make your life in the kitchen easier. These also don’t have to be anything extravagant (just make sure that everything is heat-resistant).
6. Vacuum Sealer: College students are busy, meaning you may not have time to cook with all of the groceries you buy. Don’t let them (and the money you spent on them) go to waste by vacuum sealing everything. This will also help keep your refrigerator clean and free of moldy, spoiled food.
7. Mixing Bowls: Large bowls come in handy for more than just mixing food. They can also be used for serving, holding fruit, or soaking small dishes without blocking the sink. Metal or glass will last a lot longer for just a little more money.
8. Pizza Cutter: Don’t be caught without one. It can only lead to disappointment.